If you have good technical skills, you might want to consider using some of the more advanced scripts below. Use this code if you want to pass additional parameters to the NewsTrust story posting script. First click on the button you want, then copy this code and fill in the information. Your information will automatically be filled into the relevant fields in the story post form.
1. Click on the button you want to use:
2. Copy and paste the code below onto your site:
After copying this code, replace the temporary values with your own.
The above script assumes that you are adding our buttons to your blog. You will want to change the name of the blog in the unlisted_publication_name line.
Note: If you have a very high volume site, please for a custom script.
Some points to remember:
- Only use items found in the pull-down menus on the story post form for these fields: newstrust_publication_name, newstrust_story_type, newstrust_story_subject(s) and newstrust_story_topic(s).
- Separate multiple author names with commas.
- Use subject/topic pairs that go together on the post form's menus (select a subject, and check the topic menu for available topics).
- You can use up to 5 subject/topic pairs (again, selected from the post form's menus).
- If your publication is not listed in the NewsTrust database, then use "Other" for the newstrust_publication_name and enter your publication name in the newstrust_unlisted_publication_name field.
- If you filled in newstrust_unlisted_publication_name, also set newstrust_source_ownership to either ind (Independent Media) or msm (Mainstream Media)
Here is the complete set of available parameters:
|newstrust_story_url||the story URL is normally automatically filled in. Only use this field if you need to override the URL of the actual story.|
|newstrust_story_title||the story title is normally automatically filled in using the <Title> of the web page. Only use this field if you need to override the title of the web page.|
|newstrust_story_type||type of story (e.g., News Report, Breaking News, Opinion...) for a complete list of NewsTrust story types.|
|newstrust_story_date||the story's publication date in this format: YYYY-MM-DD (for example, 2013-05-18 for today's date)|
|newstrust_story_authors||writer/author/blogger of the story|
|newstrust_publication_name||name of the publication if it's in the NewsTrust database, otherwise set to "Other". for a complete list of publications in the NewsTrust database.|
|newstrust_unlisted_publication_name||fill this in if the publication is not in the NewsTrust database (and also set newstrust_publication_name to "Other")|
|newstrust_source_ownership||fill this in if the publication is not in the NewsTrust database (set to ind for Independent Media or msm for Mainstream Media)|
|newstrust_story_subject||primary subject of the story (e.g., World, U.S., Politics...) for a complete list of NewsTrust subjects and topics.|
|newstrust_story_topic||primary topic of the story (e.g., U.S. Congress, Energy, Environment...) for a complete list of NewsTrust subjects and topics.|
|newstrust_story_subject_2 through newstrust_story_subject_5||other story subjects that might apply to your story|
|newstrust_story_topic_2 through newstrust_story_topic_5||other story topics that might apply to your story|
|newstrust_story_quote||provide a short excerpt of the story. It can be the first 2-3 paragraphs. If it's too long, we'll automatically truncate to fit.|
|newstrust_referred_by||your domain, so we can give credit to your site. For example, domain.com.|
We also support a variety of different web publishing and blogging platforms with more advanced button scripts.
Click on the platform of your choice for sample buttons and scripts:
You're welcome to customize these scripts as needed. We will soon add more guidelines here on how to customize our button scripts. For now, click on the links above for platform-specific installation tips.
Please email us if you have any questions about NewsTrust buttons, badges or bookmarklets.
Thanks for your support of NewsTrust!
The NewsTrust Team